Experienced Family Law Attorney

WorkingFor You

Requesting a child support order modification in Texas

If you currently have a Texas court order requiring that you must pay child support, a time may come when you feel as if the amount you must pay should change. Maybe you lost your job and are now making less money than you were when the order first took effect, or maybe you now have more children to support than you did when the initial amount was determined. At the Law Offices of Keith E. Holloway, we understand the steps you must take to request a child support modification in Texas, and we have helped many clients modify child support so that the amount owed became more manageable.

Per TexasAttornryGeneral.gov, the first step in determining whether you might be able to modify the amount of child support you are paying is finding out whether you are eligible for a modification at all. To be eligible, you must meet two specific requirements. First, it must have been at least three years since your original child support order took effect. Second, you must have experienced a “material or substantial change in circumstances” since the order initially took effect.

Just what constitutes a “material or substantial change in circumstances?” While a substantial change in income makes the cut, so, too, does a change in living arrangements. For example, if your child lived with your ex when the child support order took effect, but he or she now lives with you, this may qualify you for a child support modification.

If there have been changes to your child’s medical insurance coverage, this, may also count as a material or substantial change in circumstances. Additionally, if you have had additional children that you now must support since your initial child support order took effect, this, too, may qualify. More about child support orders is available on our web page.


Initial Consultation

Office Location

Law Offices of Keith E. Holloway
14255 Blanco Rd
San Antonio, TX 78216

Fax: 210-308-6939
Map & Directions


Keith has been very helpful with my divorce. He suggested a great mediator and did everything possible to answer all my questions, and guide me through this very difficult part of my life. I would highly recommend him!
– Vicktorya Dvorkin
Mr. Holloway gave me expedient and sage advice in a crutch situation. He always made himself available to me and returned calls promptly. I walked away with the impression that he actually cared. Thanks Keith.
– James B Lindberg
Great Attorney and all around great guy. Made my first legal experience hassle free. I highly recommend him and his great staff. Thanks Keith, Wish I could have given you 10 Stars!
– Diana Gonzalez Wright
FindLaw Network