An Experienced Family Law
Attorney Working For You

I Can Help You Understand Your Rights Regarding Child Support

Every parent has a duty to financially support his or her children. Child support is a legal obligation imposed on a parent to provide financial support to another parent or person who has primary custody of their children. This obligation can be imposed by a judge during or after a divorce, child custody suit or paternity suit.

It is important to know your rights, whether you are the parent paying or receiving support. I am attorney Keith Holloway, and I have represented countless parents in every imaginable situation involving child support. Whether you are seeking to establish another parent’s child support obligation or defend your position, I know your rights and have the experience to properly represent and advise you. We can handle child support matters in mediation, through amicable negotiations in uncontested divorce proceedings or at trial. To schedule a free consultation, please call 210-570-9977.

Determining, Modifying And Enforcing Support Orders

The amount of court-ordered child support will be determined primarily based on the income of the parent who has the responsibility to pay support. There are specific guidelines in the Texas Family Code based on percentages of a person’s net resources. Net resources include all forms of a person’s income, including but not limited to, income from employment, interest, dividends, rentals, royalties, government assistance benefits and other income. In most instances, judges strictly follow the guidelines. However, there are circumstances that warrant a deviation. I will advise you if this applies to your case.

In some cases, a judge can order that child support be made retroactive back to a specific time. This situation usually arises when a parent was not providing child support when he or she should have been. The parent could be ordered to pay retroactive support that goes back to the birth of the child.

I can also assist you with modifications to child support orders if you, the child or the other parent has had a significant change in circumstances. As your lawyer, I can help you with enforcement of child support if the other parent is not paying.

Speak With Me Today

Please call my San Antonio office at 210-570-9977 or contact me online to schedule a free consultation.