Experienced Family Law Attorney

WorkingFor You

How can you modify your custody arrangement?

Texan parents make custody arrangements in order to fit their life situation in that particular moment. However, things won’t stay the same forever. Circumstances change, and you may find yourself needing to update your custody arrangement accordingly. But how do you do that?

FindLaw talks about what you need to do if you plan on changing your custody arrangement. The first and easiest option is by agreement. This method is somewhat self-explanatory in that it simply involves you and your ex-partner coming to an agreement on the changes that need to be made. If you agree, you can submit a written petition about the changes you want to make to a judge, who will usually approve.

If you don’t agree, you will need to handle your modification through a hearing instead. First, you will need to submit a petition in which you explain what has changed that requires modification. These reasons can include, but aren’t limited to:

  • A parental death
  • Parental relocation
  • Danger in the child’s household
  • A parent not following current visitation schedule

After submitting the request, you must provide evidence that the changes you speak of have occured. And once that’s done, you will likely still be required to go to mediation to try working out an agreement with your ex-partner. If one can’t be reached, you’re leaving the final decision in the hands of the court.

This is why it’s so important to have legal aid who know what they’re doing. They can navigate this situation and get you the best results.

Initial Consultation

Office Location

Law Offices of Keith E. Holloway
14255 Blanco Rd
San Antonio, TX 78216

Fax: 210-308-6939
Map & Directions


Keith has been very helpful with my divorce. He suggested a great mediator and did everything possible to answer all my questions, and guide me through this very difficult part of my life. I would highly recommend him!
– Vicktorya Dvorkin
Mr. Holloway gave me expedient and sage advice in a crutch situation. He always made himself available to me and returned calls promptly. I walked away with the impression that he actually cared. Thanks Keith.
– James B Lindberg
Great Attorney and all around great guy. Made my first legal experience hassle free. I highly recommend him and his great staff. Thanks Keith, Wish I could have given you 10 Stars!
– Diana Gonzalez Wright
FindLaw Network