Experienced Family Law Attorney

WorkingFor You

Do I have to pay child support if I lose my job?

If you have filed for a divorce in Texas, you likely have many questions. One of the most confusing topics for most divorcing parents is child support and all the rules that govern this program. Many wonder whether they will still be required to make payments if they lose their job and become incapable of providing financial support for their children. The Texas Attorney General has answered this question as well as many others on the topic of child custody.

According to the government website, you may have to provide proof that you are actively searching for a new position if you report that you have lost your job. You may also be required to participate in one of the employment training programs that are offered by the Texas Workforce Commission.

In some cases, you can qualify for a modification of your child support requirements if you can show that losing your job has affected your ability to pay child support. If you did not lose your job, but have had your pay reduced, you will need to prove to the court that the amount you should be paying based on your current income and the amount that you were ordered to pay differs by at least $100 or 20 percent. 

If you do lose your job, it is important to take action quickly and follow the correct legal steps. Failure to make payments will likely result in past-due support that you may still be required to pay. This information is intended for your education and should not be taken as legal advice.

Initial Consultation

Office Location

Law Offices of Keith E. Holloway
14255 Blanco Rd
San Antonio, TX 78216

Fax: 210-308-6939
Map & Directions


Keith has been very helpful with my divorce. He suggested a great mediator and did everything possible to answer all my questions, and guide me through this very difficult part of my life. I would highly recommend him!
– Vicktorya Dvorkin
Mr. Holloway gave me expedient and sage advice in a crutch situation. He always made himself available to me and returned calls promptly. I walked away with the impression that he actually cared. Thanks Keith.
– James B Lindberg
Great Attorney and all around great guy. Made my first legal experience hassle free. I highly recommend him and his great staff. Thanks Keith, Wish I could have given you 10 Stars!
– Diana Gonzalez Wright
FindLaw Network