An Experienced Family Law
Attorney Working For You

How can I get a soldier’s pay garnished for support payments?

On Behalf of | Feb 5, 2016 | Military Divorce |

If a parent does not live up to his or her child support obligations, it is possible to have that parent’s wages garnished so the money can be directly routed to the accounts of the child’s other parent. While this method is effective, it is not always easy to arrange. But if the negligent parent is also a service member, the situation can be even more complex.

If you want to have a soldier’s pay garnished to cover child support payments, there are several steps you must take. First, you need a court order stating that the soldier is required to make child support payments. You will also need the court to issue a garnishment order.

The garnishment order, which must contain pertinent information identifying the soldier, will be submitted to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service. The order should identify DFAS as the garnishee.

You will also need to work out the details regarding how much pay will be garnished. The good news is that garnishment proceedings and enforcement can take place in any state. However, things can become more complicated if the soldier is overseas.

Having a soldier’s pay garnished may seem a daunting step to take, but sometimes it is the only way to get the support money funneled to where it belongs. And if you are struggling because your child’s other parent is not behaving responsibly, then a military divorce attorney may be able to help you get the situation corrected.

The attorney could help you get the garnishment order from the court and to the DFAS. The attorney could then work on your behalf to see the process through to a positive outcome.