An Experienced Family Law
Attorney Working For You

How can a father get his visitation rights enforced?

On Behalf of | Nov 7, 2015 | Fathers' Rights |

Being a divorced father can be extremely challenging. If your children are living with the other parent, you may find it difficult to see them as often as you would like. In order to maintain a healthy relationship with your children, every moment that you can spend with them is very important. If you have a visitation schedule, you probably have to arrange much of your life to accommodate it. Of course, your children likely look forward to spending time with you when those visitation days come around.

This is why it can be so vexing if your ex-spouse or the children’s other parent fails to adhere to the court ordered visitation schedule. If this happens to you, you may be at a loss as to how to handle the situation. Your first step may be to attempt to convince the other party that it is in everyone’s best interests that the visitation schedule is maintained. However, if the dispute continues, you may opt to take stronger measures.

It is possible to have a court enforce your visitation rights. Enforcement is carried out through what are called contempt proceedings. Should a party be found in contempt, the court may issue an enforcement order.

The language of the order must be clear and concise so that all parties know exactly what is expected of them. In the case of visitation, an enforcement order will demand that the child is surrendered when visitation period begins and be returned when that period expires. The enforcement order will also state where the child is to be picked up and returned.

If you have been continuously stymied in your attempts to spend time with your children during your visitation periods, a Texas fathers’ rights attorney may be able to provide assistance. The attorney could help you prepare your case and act as your representative during the contempt proceedings.