An Experienced Family Law
Attorney Working For You

Divorced parents should share vacation information

On Behalf of | Aug 6, 2015 | Child Custody |

Summer is in full swing and for many Texas families that means it’s time to take a nice vacation. And sometimes, when parents are divorced, one of them may want to take the children someplace for a few days. This can be especially fun and beneficial if such a trip gives a child more opportunity to spend time with his or her non-custodial parent.

Typically, in such situations, a parent does not have to give his or her ex-spouse a vacation itinerary unless the visitation or child custody agreement requires them to do so. However, it is understandable that the other parent would want to know the child’s whereabouts for reasons of safety and peace of mind.

If your ex-spouse refuses to reveal the details of a vacation, there are some things you can do. First, simply ask for the information while explaining that your interest is for safety purposes and not to interfere with the trip. If he or she does not respond to your request after a few days, you can send a certified letter, politely asking for the information again.

Finally, if you are still unable to convince your ex to respond, you can file what is called an “order to show cause.” With this order, your ex will have to appear in court and tell the judge the reasons for not revealing the vacation plans. Typically, the judge will require that the information be forthcoming.

It would be great fun for your children to go on vacation with their non-custodial parent. But it is in both your and the children’s best interests that you know their whereabouts. If your ex-spouse is not providing the vacation information you need, a Texas family law attorney may be able to help you. The attorney could request the information directly from your ex-spouse, or if necessary, help you with the filing of an order to show cause.